Friday, March 1, 2013

A little nervous...


I’m afraid, nay I am nervous, about submitting my work to an agent.  Of course I am.  Every writer is.  But I’ll share with you why I’m really nervous.  What if they don’t like my work?  Then who is the one who really sucks: me or the agent???  

Ray Bradbury said that writers should pick a room in their house and cover the walls with your rejection letters (eek! all four walls!).  Once the walls are covered, you’ve pretty much done your worst, you’ll be better for it and you’ll sell.  I learned this by way of Laurell K. Hamilton’s website.  

About four years ago, I completed my first book called Loyalties and I queried an agent about it.  She didn’t even want to know more.   I wrote it before I joined a writers critique group and after just one meeting I realized that my book needed some      SERIOUS work.  So, I’m kind of glad it was turned down (the really mature part of me feels this way).  I found that I did a lot of ‘telling’ and not enough ‘showing’.  Not good.  

Two years later, I submitted a short story to a fanzine and it was published.  It was even mentioned in the Baltimore City Paper.  I submitted another short story and that was published as well.  Now, here is where my nervousness jumps in.  What if after all this time of going over it and having a great person critique my work, my book still isn’t good enough?  I got one rejection letter and tried really heard to turn it around.  Did I do so successfully?  Will I be rejected again?  I don’t know. 

What I do know is that I’ve finished a novel that I really believe in; a novel where each character, even the antagonist, means something to me.  They reside in my mind and they are the ones that motivate me to write because they are the ones that want their story to be told.  Is this good enough?  

I think so.

In fact, I’m betting good money that it is.  After I put a few pieces on Amazon for Kindle, I’m going to spend a bit, and I do mean a little bit, of money to promote myself on those e-book selling sites.  Who knows what will happen.  I know what I hope will happen.  I just hope I don’t have to wallpaper a room with rejection letters in the process. 

1 comment:

  1. I think every writer has these thoughts. I have days where I am flying high and I am convinced I will succeed and other days where I think - what am I doing?!?

    I read an article on Writer's Digest once that said fear often paralyzes the best writers. The author of the article encouraged the reader/writer to ask "What is the worst that can happen if your book never gets published?" The answer, "You write a new book." Think about that. "You are a writer, right?" the author asked. "Writing another book is kind of what you are born to do!"

    It's true, right? Rejection or not... we will just keep writing... the world will catch on eventually.

    ReplyDelete