Friday, May 31, 2013

Does Cheyenne need one of her buddies to come visit you?!



How do you get in the mood to write?  Do you just sit down?  Listen to music?  Read a book?  I’ve been reading articles on how to get inspired.  Can you really make it happen if your muse isn’t cooperating?  I gotta tell you, it kind of just hits me and then I start searching for little pieces of paper to write down ideas or try to find my cell phone so I can text the idea to myself.  From a bystander, it must be a weird process.  A few years ago my husband and I were at a friend’s house for dinner and it just hit me.  Later on I was chastised for looking like a ‘weirdo’, scribbling on to tiny gum wrappers.  That spontaneous idea spawned a 45 page short story.  It’s still sitting on my computer waiting to be developed. 
Do you do weird things to write? 
 
When I finished my first novel, Loyalties, I know it was by the grace of God (and that’s any piece of writing I finish).  I would pray before I wrote.  Each and every time I sat down to write, I said a small prayer of, “Thank you, Lord, for the great ideas you’ve given me.  Please help me to convey these ideas so people will love and follow them.” 
 
But here is the problem:  I’m a procrastinator.  I have tons of ideas on little pieces of paper and small paragraphs that will spawn books on my computer.  But nothing is going to happen to them unless I get off my butt and do something.  That’s what I’m doing now!  Want to know what is my little motivator?  My inspiration?  No, it’s not the crossbow wielding Cheyenne.  
But here is the problem:  I’m a procrastinator.  I have tons of ideas on little pieces of paper and small paragraphs that will spawn books on my computer.  But nothing is going to happen to them unless I get off my butt and do something.  That’s what I’m doing now!  Want to know what is my little motivator?  My inspiration?  No, it's not my very own personal, and yes violent, muse, Cheyenne. 
 
It’s my daughter.   Yes, it sounds cliché and you may be gagging on your fingers right now, but it’s the truth.  Writing for me has always been fun and wanting to make money with my writing has always been my dream.  I won’t let it be a dream anymore.  I’m making it a reality.  Yes, it’s a slow process but it’s happening.  My mother went back to school in her forties and graduated from college the same year I graduated from high school.  She was tired of working a full-time job and a part-time job to take care of my sister and me.  She always wanted to be a teacher.  So one day she said, “Self, I’m going back to school.  I’ve wanted to be a teacher since I was a child and by George, I’m going to do it.”  She did it.  My mother is the kind of woman who says she wants something, and then she does it.  I’m proud of her.  Everyone is.  She is a blessing to everyone she meets.  Looking at her, I know I can do it. 
 
I see it now.  I visualize it:  my name on books in Barnes and Noble; millions of fans anticipating my next release; being #1 on Kindle and Nook lists.  Being on the New York Times Best Sellers List for weeks, months even. 
 
What inspires you?  Is it that need to get the hell away from your current job before your brain explodes?  Is it a little person or a parent?  Or is it you? 
 
You’re good enough.  I am, too. 
 
Oh, I do so hope you love my books.  Because I’d love for you to take the journey with me. 
 
I apologize if my blog entries sound presumptuous or self-serving.  If you read my blog, you are taking this expedition with me. 
 
Be proud of me.  Celebrate me.  Recommend me to your friends, complete strangers even.  Because I’m doing this. 
 
It’s happening. 

And if you need help with inspiration, I’ll have Cheyenne get one of her crossbow, hatchet baring buddies to stop by your place…

No comments:

Post a Comment