Monday, May 6, 2013

Keep Moving Forward




Have any of you ever seen Disney’s Meet the Robinsons?  I absolutely love it.  I went to the movies to see it when it came out in 2007.  Why?  No idea.  If memory serves me correctly, I went to see it with a coworker.  It may even be safe to say that no child accompanied us to the theater, but I’m going to try to save myself from sounding weird and say that my niece went with us.  Anyway, the movie is about an orphan named Louis who is an inventor.  Long story short, he meets his future family, they help him, giggles and fun, despair and repair, happy ending.  Love it!

There’s one part in the movie during a dinner scene where Louis has to fix the peanut butter and jelly machine.  He fails.  He apologizes.  And everyone at the table cheers for him and tells him that he has failed wonderfully and that he did a great job.  Why?  Because he failed!  And what happens when smart people fail?  They learn something and they Keep Moving Forward.  Isn’t that brilliant!  Wouldn’t it be great if we could actually feel that way when we’ve failed and not considered eating a whole box of Pops cereal and all six snack packs in the 100-calorie box to drown out our misery?  Note to self, teach my wonderful daughter to learn from her mistakes, not morn them.

At the end of the movie, it shows where the Robinsons got their motto of ‘Keep Moving Forward’ from.  It’s from Walt Disney himself.  And it goes:
Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. 
We KEEP MOVING FORWARD, opening up new doors and doing new things because we’re curious, and curiosity keeps moving us down new paths. 

I’m going to try my best to live by this motto.  It makes me feel better on days when I’m overwhelmed with writing and editing and social networking and working and cooking and cleaning and being a fantastic mother and wife.  There are a few other things that I could add, but we’ll leave it at that.  I think of all the time I wasted watching too much television and switching majors and dwelling on crap that doesn’t matter.  I’ve failed at quite a few things and sometimes still manage to feel bad about it. 

It’s done.

No amount of self-deprecation is going to undo the things I’ve done or failed to do.  Just be happy that I learned something from those failings and keep moving forward.  Funny I had to learn that from a Disney movie.  Movies made for kids sometimes have the most thought provoking lessons that we hope they learn. 

One more small point.  My coworker, Jen, who writes themessybakerblog asked me once why I blog at two, three or that Gawd-awful four o’clock in the morning.  And I’ll let everyone in on the secret:  it’s the only time I get real peace and quiet.  When my energy-filled 15 month old daughter sees me on the computer, she wants to blog too!  And I feel terrible because it’s like I’m not paying attention to her.  But right now, she is sleeping and snoring and… Crap!  She just woke up!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Roslyn! Wonderful advice. I always feel like a screw up but once I get over myself, I just keep dusting myself off and keep moving forward. I hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete