Saturday, August 10, 2013

Who are you teaching?



Before I begin, let me say that I hope I don’t offend anyone.  These are only my opinions. 

This morning I heard a review of the new movie Percy Jackson’s Sea of Monsters.  I loved the first one and plan on seeing the new one.  I also happen to be a Christian who writers paranormal fiction about werewolves, ghosts and demons.  The reviewer said yes, it is a family film but it will leave you scratching your head because it’s a movie about gods and demigods.  In the cinematic adventure, per reviewer, Jesus was called ‘a god’.  Not The Son of God or The Son of the Holy Trinity, so you may want to do some research before you go see the movie. 

Let’s go a little deeper here.  Growing up, my family and I didn’t go to church every Sunday or hold hands and bless our food at dinner time.  My mother was and is a Christian and didn’t force the issue.  We watched Tales from the Crypt every Sunday night.  As I got older I did my own thing and found my way to Christianity.  Growing up, I also knew that my mother was my biggest teacher.  There was not a movie or television show that could tell me better than she could.  I even fought my fears away using her words.  If there was anything that frightened me, she told me that it wasn’t real and that if by chance it was real, she would kick the holy crap out of it if it came near me and my sister.  I loved Greek and Roman mythology and knew it was just that.  Mythology.  I loved scary movies but I knew they were just movies.

People need to step up and stop blaming violent television shows or games or books (God forbid!) on why their kids have gone bat-sh*t crazy.  But let’s face it, some people are really just bat-sh*t crazy and need serious help, tight jackets and padded rooms.  Teach your children what’s what.  Even teachers will tell you that they can teach our children but, it’s up to the parents to make it stick.  I can go further into the teacher-child-parent relationship but I’m not going to.  I have something else to talk about.  But I digress.  Parents and guardians need to teach their kids because someone stupid is always ready and willing to do the job. 


Moving on.  A representative from  Abeapparels contacted me about putting some free reads on their page so they could broaden their audience to readers.  Abeapparels sells men’s and women’s clothing.  They work to uplift the community and send out a positive message.  We had a laugh when I said, “I do write about supernatural creatures, and yes demons, but I’m not painting them in a negative light.”  That does sound a bit off coming from a Christian, doesn’t it?  He told me that they just don’t want to send out a mixed message to their customers and I completely agree.  Mr. Patterson, aforementioned representative, told me as long as I wasn’t worshiping Satan or anything like that, we were cool. 

I believe God gave me a gift.  If I sound arrogant then I apologize, but it’s true.  And I thank Him every day for it and I can’t wait for it to pay off.  Figuratively and literally.  I know it will. 

And let me just add one more thing.  Being who I am, I can’t safely say what does and does not exist.  But I know what I’ll teach my daughter.  She’ll know right from wrong and she’ll know that wrong comes with serious consequences.  I have an open mind and have said in the past that I long for the day I hear the sound of the Tardis coming because the Doctor and I have loads of stuff to do together.  Or maybe we’ve already done it but I can’t remember because it will fry my brain. (I love Donna Noble!)  Or maybe Sam and Dean Winchester-like people will come and tell me to kick the bad wichamajig’s ass because I can totally do it.  But that’s me.  I’m not going to hold my breath on it.  I love to create worlds where people can disappear in to and when they come up for air, they wish they could have stayed submerged a little longer. 

And by-the-by, I am stoked that Fogull/McLovin’ is back in Kick-Ass 2.  He kind of looks like Prince in the previews.  Ohh!  I’ll call him, the Artist Formally Known as McLovin’!

1 comment: