Sunday, December 15, 2013

Know Your Roll!!


“Know your roll and shut your mouth.”  I used to love watching wrestling just so I could hear The Rock says that.  And to hear him call people ‘candy-assed jabronies’.  It was fun.  I still say it to my husband every now and then when we play.  He smiles and then I give him an attack hug.  Our daughter laughs and then tries to pull us apart.  I would never say anything like that to him if we weren’t joking around.  I may want to, but I know the boundaries.
I just finished reading the first book in a romance trilogy.  The name of the book and its author are not important, but I gotta tell you I will not be reading the next two books.  The sex scenes were steamy and it almost had a good storyline going.  But then it stops.  It went a little too far for my taste.  It’s one thing to have a dominant Alpha-male, but it’s another thing to have a man telling you what to wear, how to speak and what to do at any given time of the day.  That’s where the book wound up. 


The male lead in the book went from sexy man who desires a woman to an obsessive, stalker, borderline emotionally abusive rapist.  And it happened pretty quickly.  I kept reading and reading and hoping it would get better.  It didn’t.  I can honestly say that this book really bothered me. 

I can’t understand how the book has four stars with over a thousand reviews.  I went back and read the reviews and found that I am not the only person who was severely bothered.  Too many authors are trying to take Fifty Shades of Grey and run with it.  Some are successful.  Others fail poorly.  And others take Anna’s nickname for Christian, Fifty Shades of F**ked-up, and turn it into the literal translation. 

I have never read a book like the one I just finished and I hope to the stars above I never do it again.
Why am I sharing this with you?  ‘Cause this is my blog and I’m a writer.  You go to writer’s blogs to find out what they’re reading or what they’re releasing.  Well, there you go.  I just read something that made me cringe and wonder where the heck these romance books are headed.  Give me a strong Alpha-male any day and I’ll love it.  Give me an abusive prick and I want nothing more to do with you. 





2 comments:

  1. Initially I thought you were talking about 5 Shades of Grey, but now I'm curious because I haven't been able to finish that series. I'm not really shocked that there is something that goes further than what he did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not shocked either, but what bother's me is that so many people like it. The guy is a douche in the book and apparently people like it. It's a bit disturbing. In the real world this guy would be considered as abusive, not passionate.

    ReplyDelete