Monday, January 30, 2017

Just sharing...

It's been quite a while since I posted here and I wanted to share a blog tour post that I did as a participating author at the HallowRead Mini-con that's held in Maryland every October. I wanted to type up this really long description of who I met and what it was like, but this blog post should cover it.

If you remember (I'm sure you do!) I started going to the HallowRead four years ago as a serious fan-girl who probably freaked out a few of my favorite authors. And a few months ago, ladies and gents, I got to sit next to one of those authors as a panelist. My attempted to not freak out did not go unnoticed. C.J. Ellisson was nice to be, remembered me, and gave me a few pointers. She rocks the bells.

Any who! Here goes that post. Originally posted on Horrormade.com on September 5, 2016.

In the middle of the woods at the abandoned Patapsco Female Institute, I was silently followed by Dracula’s minion Renfield. It was awesome. In a Victorian Tea Room, a mechanical parrot squawked at me every time I got a little too close to its owner. The picture still makes me smile. And at a pub in Ellicott City surrounded by many of the featured authors of the HallowRead, I was encouraged to stop worrying about what was practical and let my stories be heard.

I listened.

The Paranormal, Urban Fantasy, Horror and Steam Punk sanctuary that I found at the HallowRead mini-con was the push I needed to start writing again and seek publication. Watching the authors answer questions about gods and devils, angels and demons, shifters and other supernatural beings put a picture in my head of me answering those same questions as a panelist, and meeting the wonderful people who loved to read about them. When Rachel MacNeil Rawlings, founder of the HallowRead and amazing author, told me I would be a featured author at this year’s event, I felt like a teenage girl who had just been introduced to her favorite boyband.

After a few short stories, articles and two self-published books I’ve found that there is an audience for a group of angels and demons who live in the same neighborhood; that werewolves and Lilith, first wife of Adam, have a lot in common, and that the ghost of the little girl in the swimming pool isn’t really as nice as she looks.

The HallowRead is a place where you can meet your favorite authors, find new books, and maybe even do a little ghost hunting. Classes, interactive plays, and a Steam Punk Tea are just a few of the great events that have been available at the HallowRead in the past and I’m excited to see what this year’s mini-con will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment